Sunday 3 January 2010

Hip-hop Feminism Literature

Earlier this year, I purchased a few books on hip-hop feminism to help me along my way of creating BITCHES. In fact I can say, all of these books had a huge influence in my understanding of ‘black feminism’ and how it differs from ‘feminism’ which to be fair is based upon the experience of white middle class women. More importantly, how women are used as a currency of exploitation by mainstream hip-hop. (I say mainstream because conscious stuff, as it name sake is not interested in that rap). All of these women refer to themselves as ‘hip-hop feminist’ they grew up in the culture, appreciate it but yet see so many flaws in terms of the construction of masculinity and femininity. It also rooted my knowledge of all these females who were as the pioneers of hip-hop but for some reason they are never mentioned or given a shout out. So if you have the time please do check out these books.



No comments:

Post a Comment