Tuesday 29 December 2009

j*9 interviews DJ Ychuck



J*9: You have an unsual DJ name, how did Where did you get your name from?
DJ Ychuck: My last name is Onyschuk. It’s kind of a difficult last name to pronounce (its Ukrainian) and people are constantly saying it wrong! They have called me 'O-chuck', 'oni-chuck','ychuck.’’ When I said ‘ychuck’, my friends were like 'that's a wicked name...that's your DJ name!' It's a funny name and it's stuck with me through time. Some of my best friends call me Chuckie!

J*9: How did you get into hip-hop?

DJ Ychuck: I started getting into hip-hop when I was at high school. I think I first heard real underground hip-hop on a ninja tune compilation that a nice person who worked at a record store gave to me. I also listened to a lot of college radio, and fell in love with late night underground hip-hop sets. I bought all the Tribe Called Quest records, and kept progressing from there.

J*9: What was the first record you bought?
DJ Ychuck: The first full length 12" I bought was Pussy Galore! On Pussy Foot Records. It’s a great compilation! http://www.discogs.com/Various-Pussy-Galore/release/205196

J*9: How did you first start DJing?
DJ Ychuck: I started DJing when I was seventeen. I actually grew up in the height of North American rave culture, and got into drum and bass before I got into hip-hop. I always used to hang out beside the DJ booth, and I remember being mesmerized by what the DJ was doing with all the knobs and faders. My dad bought me my first DJ mixer as a graduation present, and I set up a bunch of old turntables (they didn't even have pitch control on them!) and tried to start mixing records. Later on I saved up to get some real DJ gear, I spun records with a lot of buddies, played in a lot of people's basements, and made a lot of 'train wreck' mixes along the way while I learned how to make mixtapes!


J*9: Have you played in other parts of the world?
DJ Ychuck: So far, I've been lucky enough to play in the US, and in Europe. In the US, I played in San Francisco. I was actually invited by QBert to appear on his 'Turntable TV' DVD series, and while I was filming down there I played at a club with DJ 8-Ball (DMC West Coast Champion)and Rafik (DMC World Champion) Last year, I was gigging in Germany for six months. The highlight of the trip was playing at the We B Girlz Hip-hop Festival, where I opened up for Bahamadia and Roxanne Shante.

J*9: You are also turntablist DJ, how did u start that?
DJ Ychuck: I was actually really lucky that I discovered turntablism! When I was younger, I used to hang out at a graffiti store. In addition to djing, my little sister was into painting graffiti (she's a dope visual artist, I used to mostly bomb) and we used to go pick up paint and markers and I'd shop for records. I used to buy drum and bass records, while my sister would check out the paint. We met a nice guy who worked at the store, and he knew that I really dug my turntables. He recommended that I check out some ITF videos. I bought an ITF video, and that night my sister and popped the VHS tape in the player and were totally stunned after we watched the first DJ's battle routine. I think it was the first time that we ever saw a DJ scratch and juggle! We must have watched the tape about four times that night. Around this time, (2000-2001) there were still a lot of raves going on in Toronto (my hometown) and I was able to see amazing turntablists at raves in big venues. I was going to raves every weekend to see DJs like Roc Raida, Swamp, Klever, A-Trak and the Funky Teknicianz. It was an incredible time.

After a few months of carefully observing real DJs, I was totally motivated to learn the art of turntablism. I was lucky enough to find a mentor, DJ Labo, who taught me to properly scratch and juggle. This was around 2000-2001, which is now considered to be one of the 'golden eras' of turntablism. He also introduced me to the Toronto battle scene, and to a whole lot of really good DJs (Toronto produces some of the sickest turntablists on the planet!!!) I couldn't get enough of the turntables...I actually dropped out of college (I was studying jazz guitar at the time) so I could have more time to practice scratching!

J*9: What is more important, beats or lyrics?
DJ Ychuck: I used to think it was the beats, because I'm really into listening to productions, and I really enjoy the soundscapes that producers create. However, these days, I'm really feeling lyrics too, although sometimes I listen to the flow of the lyrics more than the words. But I think it's really important to have a strong message you want to communicate as well. I know that lyrics can sometimes 'speak' to people in a way that they can easily understand, and make a song truly memorable. In a well written song, both elements are equally important.

J*9: What are the key ingredients of getting the crowd going?
DJ Ychuck: Playing the right records at the right time and of course making sure that you have some bangers in your crate too. I think that a good DJ really takes his or her time to build up a set, and focuses on taking their audience on a real journey.

J*9: Is it easier for girls being DJs?
DJ Ychuck: I think that it's a challenging for anyone to be a good DJ!

J*9: Does your gender affect the type of music you play?
DJ Ychuck: Absolutely not. I play what I feel is right for the moment. I think that the message that I want to communicate to my audience determines the type of music that I play.

J*9: Do you feel compromised to play other female hip-hop stuff?
DJ Ychuck: No. I really like a lot of female artists (like Missy, M.I.A. Beyonce and Mary J. Blige to name a few), but I play their tracks because they make dope records, not because they're females. I play music if it's good...I'm not concerned with the gender of the person who made it. I do think that women have certain strength to them though, and I like it when female artists channel their funky, soulful vibes into the music they create.

J*9: As women in hip-hop is it our responsibility to support each other to build a community?
DJ Ychuck: I think that people should support each other. Men should support women and vice versa. The only way that the earth will ever really be able to progress is if everyone begins to work and build together.

J*9: What is the future of hip-hop?
DJ Ychuck: I think hip-hop is going to be further influenced by electronica and dubstep. I've been hearing lots of really cool, wonky electronic hip-hop coming out of cities like LA. There are some really good artists out there right now like Nosaj Thing, and Flying Lotus who are pushing the music in a new direction. Today I just heard of this producer called Shlohmo who's really original and makes really spacious, futuristic beats. I also make produce some new school hip-hop beats under the name Sara Simms so you'll want to check out some of my productions in 2010.

Photography, creative direction and makeup and styling by: Melle Oh
Additional styling by: Shehan McLelland
Jewellery by Crushed

Check out DJ Ychuck on:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUk3WILeMAY&fmt=22
http://www.djychuck.com
http://www.facebook.com/djychuck
http://www.myspace.com/djychuck

No comments:

Post a Comment